1) Gather inspiration by browsing through magazines and online. Look at styles that you like, so that you have some idea of what you are looking for.
2) Think carefully about the location of the event so you can dress to the theme of the occasion. For example, an event on a beach will require a different dress to an event held indoors. Always make sure you know the dress code.
3) Choose something that makes you feel great! Being comfortable is most important - otherwise you won't enjoy yourself.
4) Always try to wear something slightly different to the last dress you wore. Repetitive and too safe gets boring.
5) Select a dress that's easy to dance in, because dancing the night away is the best part!